Stress in beef cattle is defined as “a nonspecific response of the body to any demand from the environment.” (Frazer et al.,1975; Selye,1976) Stress on cattle in a stocker operation comes from weaning, shipping, and processing. Stress on incoming cattle has effects on calf nutrition, and that nutritional stress impacts overall calf health.
Weaning, shipping, and processing stress causes:
- decreased feed intake, causing . . . decreased number of rumen microbes, therefore . . . volume loss from digestive tract, and dehydration.
- decreased feed intake, meaning less energy, bringing on . . . depressed immune systems, so you see . . . sick calves and more retreats.
Texas Range Minerals’ Stocker Receiving Mineral:
- jumpstarts feed and energy intake,
- restores electrolyte and water balance at the cellular level,
- stimulates cattle’s immune systems,
- allows maximum effectiveness of your vaccination and herd health program,
- so you see fewer retreats, increased weight gains, and an increased bottom line.
Texas Range Minerals’ Stocker Receiving is formulated to restore conditions in the rumen to a healthy state. A stressed calf that has lost a large portion of its rumen function does not need a typical mineral package. Until its rumen returns to a healthy pre-stressed condition, it cannot efficiently function. Texas Range Minerals’ goal is to heal up the rumen by providing minerals in simplest ionic form, Vitamins A, D, and E, and Diamond V Yeast® culture that is rich in energy metabolites.
Stocker Receiving Mineral Benefits:
- Custom formulated for nutritional needs of stressed incoming calves
- Calves get on feed faster
- Boosts animals’ immune system – your health program works more efficiently
- Low cost per head per day
- Will not spoil in wet conditions; cattle consume wet mineral – no waste